Or how to publish an e-book in Serbian language (also Croatian, Bosnian, Montenegrin language etc.) – completely free!
Today’s blog post is about publishing your e-book in any language on iBooks (iTunes, iStore, iConnect – however you call it; it’s all Apple baby).
Since this is a text primarily related to how to publish an e-book in Serbian language (and also Croatian, Bosnian, Montenegrin language), general info can be found in Serbian language. However, if you are interested in general info on how to publish your e-book on iBooks (or need info on how to publish an e-book in Macedonian and Slovenian language), please continue reading.
First of all, my general preference when it comes to self-publishing is Amazon. If you would like to know about Amazon self-publishing program, please look at my post on how to publish your book on Amazon. It is way more simple to use than iTunes and it sells more books than any other publishing house in the world. Still, Amazon has limits when it comes to book content written in certain languages (full list can be found here), so iTunes can be a great alternative if your book is written in language that Amazon does not support.
Before I start, it would be nice to know why would anyone self-publish their e-book in the first place. Here’s my list:
- It’s completely free to publish your e-book
- Your earinings are 70% from each book you sell (which is much better than paper version)
- You set the price of your book
- Your book is available anywhere in the world at any time (just have a look at this inspiring video)
- You can publish your book (ok, after initial preparation) in just a few minutes and YOU (and you only) decide on this (so there are no publishes that can turn down your text)
- E-book is a great way to check out your reading audience before you publish a paper-cover book (although you can get great feedback from your beta readers too)
- Your e-book can be online forever (even if you sell just one book a year it’s still a perfect passive income)
- Reading on an e-reader is (in my humble opinion) much better, easier, cheaper and healthier for your eyes than a regular book – and in my post on e-readers you can find all the advantages of e-reading
Now that all this is clear, there are 3 things that are crucial in the very PREPARATION before publishing (not just for iTunes):
- First thing is (I hope) obvious. Your book should be written. I know it may sound silly, but your book needs to be ready, finished, the end, all characters (more or less) in one place. The good news is that you can publish any kind of text: science, illustration, short stories; anything. Than you can give it to an editor and think about submitting your work to beta readers (these two steps are optional of course).
- After that, you should set up some kind of account where you will receive your money. PayPal is an obvious choice, but if you have no option to receive money through PayPal (like in Serbia) consider opening an account with Payoneer.
- Once you’re done with all this, you should create a description for your book along with the book cover. These 2 things SELL your e-book. Similar as in bookstore, reader sees an interesting book cover, reads the description and really, really wants to buy your book. Remember that a book cover is the first thing your potential buyer will see; you can create one yourself or invest in your cover and pay a professional designer to make you one. As for the description, you know the best what your book is about, but you can ask someone for help (other people’s opinion can make you realise things you haven’t maybe considered). Make the description the best you can as this is the thing that will definitely seal the deal of selling your book to a potential reader (full post on book cover design can be found here).
Self-publishing on APPLE (iBooks) in any language
- For starters, take a look at this short article on how to publish on iBooks and then the longer one that explains in detail the whole process on how to publish an e-book on iBooks store. So the very fist thing you have to do is to open an account on iStore (or iTunes or iConect, whatever). If, for any reason, you cannot open an account (eg. because of your national legislation), write to Apple’s customer support at: email@example.com, and explain that you want to open an account so you can publish your e-book. This can take a while (maybe even over a month), but is definetlly worth it if you want to sell your e-book.
- After this, you should export your book to EPUB format that e-readers support. While Amazon do this part for you, you have to do this yourself for Apple. There are some agencies (or aggregators) that can do this (there are reccomendations on Apple website); you pay and they format your e-book. However, this whole proces is not difficult at all – it is just very poorly explained. There are two ways to transfer your text into EPUB format – through Pages (it’s like a Word for Mac) and through iAuthor (in which you have to write your book directly and is intended for more complex books that incorporate sounds or sketches etc). In my case, I used Pages (for classic novel) and it’s very, very user friendly. Once you open your account on Apple, from the menu select FAQ and download Pages book template where you can put your text from a Word document (simple copy-paste). This document is very clear and you can easily see how your book will look like once is published. Once you’re done, select from the menu to export your book to EPUB format and your new .epub file is ready to be published. So as you see, it’s very easy to turn your book into EPUB and iAuthor program works in the same way – after you finish your book, you just simply export your book to EPUB format.
- Once you finish, you are ready to publish your e-book. For this you will need to use iTunes producer (for PC users, you can check out this useful article). Now you upload your e-book (as EPUB extension) into iTunes producer, put your description and book cover, determine your price (you and only you decide on your price) and your book is published in 72h.